Part Time: (20-40 hours per week)
Term: ASAP to March 31, 2019 with potential renewal
April 1, 2019 –March 31 2020
Hourly Rate: $18.50/hour
Ka Ni Kanichihk Inc. is a non-profit, community based; Indigenous led human services organization that provides a range of Indigenous identified programs and services that focus on wholeness and wellness and that builds on the strengths and resilience of Indigenous Peoples.
AYO (Aboriginal Youth Opportunities) is a youth movement from Winnipeg’s North End that is committed to breaking stereotypes and creating opportunity for urban Indigenous young people. AYO develops relationships with organizations, media, government and businesses in order to empower each other. This group is led by young people volunteering and sharing their gifts with others. We are currently hiring Indigenous youth to work with our 13 Moons Harm Reduction initiative, a culture based program to reduce harms for people who use drugs.
About the Role
AYO is the lead on implementing the 13 Moons Project, which is funded by the Public Health Agency of Canada.
Ka Ni Kanichihk is providing organizational support and financial management, and is part of the Executive Circle along with Winnipeg Regional Health Authority Population Public Health and Manitoba Harm Reduction Network. Employees of the project report to the Executive Circle.
AYO requires two (2) experienced, knowledgeable, and motivated Outreach Workers to connect with people aged 11-35 who are currently using drugs.
Using a harm reduction, healing centered, anti-racist, and culturally grounded approach, the successful candidate will:
- Support the project’s People Who Use Drugs Advisory Council:
- Maintain and support communications with members
- Support training and capacity building opportunities for members
- Ensure activities support the deliverables outlined in the Public Health Agency of Canada (PHAC) work plan
- Responsible for carrying out day to day operations according to the work plan
- Identifying opportunities to connect with people who use drugs
- Independently carry out overall day to day activities in alignment with the work plan
- Delivering a 13 week program on healthy sexuality and harm reduction
- Coordinating social media presence
- Contribute to necessary documents for the Executive Circle
- Responsible for ensuring that necessary materials & equipment for activities are in stock
- Identify, develop, and/or participate in appropriate networks and coalitions
- Assist with event planning, including conferences
- Completing reports and tracking data on outreach activities
- Participate in evaluation activities according to work plan
- Follow all policies and procedures of the employing and funding organizations
- Other duties as delegated by the Executive Circle
What You Bring
- A high school diploma, or acceptable equivalent.
- 2-3 years of experience working in their community on community events, campaigns, coalition building etc.
- Strong community connections, in particular with communities that are affected by harmful substance use and those not traditionally well served by systems.
- Lived experience with substance use.
- Previous roles, volunteer or employment, with inner city organizations.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to organize and coordinate meetings.
- Works using a decolonizing and anti-racist approach.
- A commitment to working from a harm reduction oriented, healing centered, and culturally grounded perspective.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with Indigenous people.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work flexible hours according to the activities required of the job position.
- Comfortable working as part of a team and independently.
- Experienced in software programs for data management, word processing and basic design (eg. Office, social media).
Ka Ni Kanichihk is committed to achieving employment equity; therefore candidates are encouraged to indicate in their covering letter if they are of Indigenous ancestry.
Applications for this position will be received up to July 30, 2019 at 4:30pm. Please write APPLICATIONS in the subject line.
Please send the following in on attachment: Resume, Cover Letter, and three work-related references to:
Co-Chair Executive Circle
manderson5 at wrha.mb.ca
Ka Ni Kanichihk thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.