The Women’s Support and Recovery Program Counsellor is a member of the Women’s Support and Recovery Program Team; and provides direct services to the participants of the Women’s Support and Recovery Program at North End Women’s Centre.
- Post-secondary degree or certificate in the social services field (other combinations of relevant education and experience may be considered).
- Experience providing long term, short term, and/or crisis counselling to women who have experienced addiction; trauma; homelessness; and sexual exploitation.
- Experience in the development, organization, and facilitation of groups and programs for women of diverse backgrounds.
- Experience working in a community based setting in the North End of Winnipeg and knowledge of inner city challenges is an asset.
- Experience working with women in a residential setting.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to work flexibly in a high stress environment, adapting to the needs of the participants.
- Basic computer skills and administrative skills.
- Knowledge of, and experience working with Indigenous people particularly in terms of the historical context, traditions, teachings as well as the unique barriers Indigenous women face.
- Knowledge of the impacts of poverty, addictions, sexual exploitation, homeless, mental health, and violence on women.
- Knowledge of a variety of different counselling styles and techniques.
- Knowledge of addictions recovery and relapse prevention planning.
- Knowledge of sexual exploitation and sex trafficking recovery.
- Knowledge of the resources available in the community for women experiencing poverty, homelessness, domestic violence, mental illness, addictions and sexual exploitation.
- Strong organizational, planning, and time management skills.
- Non-judgemental and accepting attitude.
- Ability to deal with crisis situations in an appropriate manner.
- Understanding of and commitment to a strength based and solution oriented approach.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to apply trauma informed care, cultural proficiency, and harm reduction principles.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Ability to follow direction and make decisions within the parameters of the job.
- Valid Class 5 license
- Regular access to a safe and reliable vehicle
- Satisfactory Criminal Record and Child Abuse Registry Check
Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide counselling and case management to participants in the Women’s Support and Recovery Program (caseload of 12-15 women).
- To create and evaluate workable treatment plans based on assessment of participant need and stage of recovery in consultation with the Women’s Support and Recovery Program Supervisor.
- To plan and facilitate/co-facilitate ongoing Women’s Support and Recovery Program groups.
- To empower women to advocate for themselves and to advocate on their behalf when necessary
- To assist women in accessing and connecting to community resources that will help meet their basic needs.
- To provide information, referral, and support to women as needed
- To act as a role model for women modeling healthy relationships, boundaries, and communication.
- To facilitate community presentations on NEWC programming as needed.
- Administrative and reporting duties.
Job Status: Full Time, Term (May 2018 – March 31, 2019 with possibility of extension)
Hours: 37.5 hours/week (days/evenings/weekends – shifts may vary) (Examples of shifts could be 8:30am-4:30pm, 10am – 6pm or 1pm-9pm)
Closing Date: April 30, 2018 at 8:30am
Start Date: May 2018
Salary Range: $18-$23 per hour
Resumes and a cover letter may be submitted by email, mail, fax, or dropped off:
Tammy Hansen, Women’s Support and Recovery Program Manager
North End Women’s Centre
394 Selkirk Avenue, Winnipeg, MB R2W 2M2
Email: tammy at newcentre.org
For a full Job Description please contact Tammy. For more information on NEWC go to our website at http://www.newcentre.org/